Buying a home is one of the biggest steps you will take in your adult life. Depending on your style, a cookie-cutter house may not be the home of your dreams. Historic homes offer a lot of charming character (and usually architecture) that may be exactly what you’re looking for.However, purchasing one of these unique homes can prove to be challenging if you are unfamiliar with the process. Here are some tips to keep in mind before moving forward with your purchase:
- Hire an inspector who specializes in older homes to come out and give you a formal inspection.
- Have a contractor who has experience working with historic homes give you an estimate for any potential repair work that can be done to eliminate the need for expensive projects in the future.
- Be sure your potential new home meets all current safety and health requirements including passing both lead and asbestos tests.
- Be conscious of your local/state laws: Standards for Rehabilitation of Historic Buildings. Your plans to remodel or expand may not meet the pre-set parameters.
- Avoid homes with any structural damage. The possibility of future problems can become overwhelming very quickly. Save yourself the trouble.
When looking into buying an historic home, the greatest tip is to do your research. Don’t let the initial beauty and uniqueness blind you from unfortunate surprises that may show up later on.
Paulson’s specializes in historic homes and can be your aid in transforming your treasure back to its original beauty.
Call us today and get started! 517-545-8651