Areas We Serve:
Western Oakland County
Byron, Morrice, Perry, Dansville, Plainfield, Bunker Hill, Fitchburg, Williamsville, Hell, Unadilla, Waterloo, Dover, Hudson Mills, Webster, Lakeland, Mason, Leslie, Holt, Okemos, Bancroft, Durand, Gaines, Cohoctah, Oak Grove, Argentine, Rankin, Grand Blanc, Clyde, Highland, Oxbow, Union Lake, Commerce, Wixom, New Hudson, White Lake, Northville, Plymouth, Salem, Dixboro
|"They were timely, neat, cleaned up after themselves and gave good advice." [More]
- Carolyn J, S. Lyon, MI
Click below to play video...
|2012 Contractor of the Year Award Winner! Residential Exterior Specialty-Region 4|
Throughout the years, this 19th century smokehouse had fallen into disrepair. Our homeowner’s primary objective for this project was making the smokehouse functional once again. The homeowners also wanted to create an outdoor living area for entertaining throughout the year.
These goals were accomplished by making repairs to the smokehouse masonry work, replacing asphalt shingles with cedar shakes, and then constructing a new stone fireplace to aid in the function of the smokehouse. A special damper was fabricated for the fireplace to vent heat directly into the smokehouse when in use. We provided living and entertaining space by building a covered patio addition adjacent to the smokehouse with many special features:
• Natural stone from the homeowner’s property was used for the outdoor fireplace to match the color and texture of the smokehouse stone.
• Fireplace was constructed with a built in bread oven for outdoor cooking.
• Built in concrete benches were fabricated with storage areas underneath for dry wood.
• Exposed aggregate concrete was used for a safe, nonslip and interesting patio surface that created a look that is more period appropriate.
• Outdoor copper sconces were added for general lighting.
• Cedar shakes were used to shingle both the smokehouse and the covered patio for continuity and authenticity.
• Flat screen TV for guests to watch the “big game” outdoors
• Ceiling fan
• Electrical outlets (for lap top use, etc.)
• Recessed bonfire pit
Making the smokehouse functional again was a challenge, but by creating the custom fireplace, both of the homeowner’s objectives were met. The homeowners can enjoy outdoor cooking from ‘smores and homemade bread to ribs and smoked fish. With features like the fireplace and bonfire for cooler months and the ceiling fan for warm months, family and friends can enjoy the outdoors year round. The smokehouse has become more than just a focal point of the back yard; it has been transformed into a beautiful, multiuse outdoor dwelling to be used and enjoyed throughout the whole year.
Click on a picture for a larger view...